MEC 2015 Big Wild Challenge
- Date: Saturday, Sep 19, 2015
- Time: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Location: Elk Island National Park
- Price: $0.00 per ticket
Get ready to run wild!
Help protect Canada’s precious natural places! Hit the trail with us on Saturday, Sept 19th for the MEC Big Wild Challenge Trail Run!
Whether you’re a serious trail runner, or new to the sport and looking to meet others in the community – the Big Wild Trail Run is a fun event that supports a great cause.Our half day fun-run will finish off with a bbq lunch in support of CPAWS and a fun finish-line fair!
Details: Two trail runs at different levels
* 3.5 km Family fun run
* 9 km trail run
Plus, beach adventure race!
For more details, visit the Event Details page.
Join us on Sept 19th – help save the wilderness places you love!
Trail Run registration opens: June 1st, 2015
All runs take place on Sept 19th, 2015
Normal Registration: $20 for all registrations between June 30 – Sept 18, 2015
Walk-Up Registration: $40 for all registrations on Sept 19th – please bring cash to the event
How does my challenge help?
In two ways: committing to a challenge shows your support for Canada’s wild spaces, and the funds you raise go to CPAWS conservation campaigns to protect Canada’s at-risk wilderness. CPAWS is Canada’s leading public wilderness conservation charity. Find out more
How do I raise money?
Once you register your challenge; ask your family, friends, or colleagues to support you with a donation through your Big Wild Challenge page.
This year’s races includes a 3.5km Family Trail Run, a 9km Trail Run, and a Beach Adventure Race!
3.5km Trail Run: A short family race following the Lakeview Trail and passes through the poplar and spruce forest, with spectacular views of Astotin Lake, islands, beaver and waterfowl.
9km Trail Run: A link-up of the Lakeview Trail and the Amisk Wuche Trail featuring boardwalks through marsh and forest, rich in aquatic and bird life.
Beach Adventure Race: This Adventure race features different challenges along the way. Learn about our Canadian Parks and solve puzzles and encourage your teammates and family through this action-packed adventure-style race.
- No earphones and music playing devices (iPod, mp3…etc.) Listen to the sounds of nature to propel you through these challenges; the flowing waterways, many varieties of birds, and the thump of your feet to keep you in rhythm.
- Bring a re-usable water bottle. We will have plenty of fresh water jugs to fill up your water bottle.
- Bring bug spray and sun protection products. Protect yourself from the harmful UV rays from Mr. Sun. Bring sunscreen & bug repellent and UVB protective clothing.
- No family pets on the 3.5km and 9km race. They will be welcome on The Adventure Race! There is not enough room on the very tight paths of the Lakeview Trail and the Amisk Wuche Trail as well we would like to keep them safe off of the roads.
- Non-competitive. We are here to have fun and raise awareness for our Canadian Parks.
- Time your own challenge. We will not be timing the event so if you want to know your time, bring a timing device!
- Prizes awarded for the Beach Adventure Race! Geo-caches and small prizes will be awarded for completing conservation learning activities.